Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Prudent

PRUDENT, cautious; circumspect; practically wise; careful of the consequences of enterprises, measures, or actions; cautious not to act when the end is of doubtful utility, or probably impracticable

-Noah Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language

Retro Thinker Mom Image

As our family has studied the book of Proverbs, "prudent" is one of the words we have come across often.  For our younger children, we tell them that the word means "careful".  The above definition is certainly something that I aspire to.  I want to always be careful and cautious and practically wise in each area of my life.  Undoubtedly, many would do well to be more prudent with their finances.  But, what about their time?  Talents? Opportunities? 

I think for most of us, it's quite easy to make a quick decision or go with our gut or our fleshly desires in many of these areas.  Oh, how easy it is to pick up a few quick and easy meals at the grocery store even when our pocketbooks can't afford it.  Or take that quick weekend trip away when our time and money would be better spent elsewhere.  After all, we may have worked extra hard in the days or weeks before and we "need" a break.  Certainly, vacations and the like aren't wrong!  But, my hope is that I will think through the idea and opportunity before making decision.

For inspiration, I think it's wise to look to someone else who is exemplifying the quality I am aspiring to.  For encouragement, I often visit the website, The Prudent Homemaker


Proverbs 19:14 
House and riches are the inheritance of fathers: and a prudent wife is from the LORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment