Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Clothing the Family part 3

The Family Closet

We've had a family closet for about a year now and I love it!  Now, when I say family closet, please don't get visions of the Duggars' ultra-organized, all-matching closet.  I don't have my own TV show (nor do I want one) or an abundance of money.  What I did have was a little bit of unused space.  We call the family closet "the back porch".  It is a small addition that was built to house our propane powered hot water heater, a propane powered dryer and a few shelves of food when my grandparents owned the house.  It opens off our kitchen out the original back door.


The space is tiny.  I took a few photos, but because the room is so small, the angles are kind of odd.





Like I said, it may not be beautiful, but it works.  This room also ends up sharing space with many other things.  Notice the coloring books, 50 lb bag of potatoes (this room is always cool, so it's a perfect spot for those), and Big Daddy pizza box! The big black buffet also houses school supplies and the space on the floor under it has come in handy for a plethora of things, from clothing in transition to or from the garage to extra toilet paper.  On the end of the room that I didn't photograph is our water heater, a few storage boxes, mops, and an upright freezer.

For me, this was really the only way our house could "work" efficiently.  There isn't enough space in the bedrooms for dressers (and our room is the only one with a closet).  Besides that, when does a busy mom have time to put away clean clothes except when little ones are asleep...and if they are asleep, the last thing a busy mom wants to do is to wake them up putting away clothing in their rooms!

2 comments:

  1. Helen just saw the pictures for this post and said, "Oooh! Clean clothes. Cool." From the mouths of babes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a whole lot more pleasant than dirty ones!

      Delete