Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Clothing the Family part 1

Resale shopping-Before you go

The single most important preparatory thing before you set out on a used clothing shopping trip is to make a list!


I keep my list in the back of my planner.  I keep items categorized by household, baby, or the person the item is needed for.  These are not just immediate needs, but things that my family is going to need in several months and sometimes even in a year or two in the case of winter coats and items of that sort.  The only way that we can effectively be good stewards of what we are given is to plan ahead and to know what we already have.  All of the kids clothing that is not being used right now is stored in our garage and every couple months I go out and put things away and make notes on my list according to what I have purchased.

A quick tip:  If you are a skirt wearing family, you probably know the frustration of purchasing a skirt or dress for your daughter that looked plenty long enough in the store and getting it home only to find out that it's way too short.  For this reason, I make a note on my list as to the minimum length a skirt can be from waist to hem or a dress from shoulder seam to hem and take my cloth measuring tape with me.  That way, I can avoid buying things that Elizabeth won't be able to wear.  (Emma has to minimum length right now-that will come once she is walking.)

Next time:  Knowing your stores.

For more large family clothing inspiration check out what the 4 moms are talking about...

www.raisingolives.com

1 comment:

  1. The single most important preparatory thing before you set out on a used clothing shopping trip is to make a list! babydolls

    ReplyDelete