Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Family Culture

I recently read the book The Little Boy Down the Road: Short Stories and Essay on the Beauty of Family Life by Douglas W. Phillips.  The third chapter is entitled The Art of Homeschool Opera: The Blessing of Family Eccentricities.  This was something that I had never thought about before but can't get out of my mind now.  So many times we see other families (real, TV, catalog, etc) and assume that every perfect family looks and acts and talks the same.  We are WRONG.  In reality, our family can be perfect for us and be completely different from any other.  Basically, there are things that are passed down through families that tie generations together.  We've all seen families where several generations seem so much alike.  Maybe they all stand the same way or laugh the same way or use strange terminology...you name it.  Anyone who knows me knows that I like to be a perfectionist and so when it came to my family, allowing those strange things to go on another generation wasn't all that high on my priority list.  Since I read this book, however, I have come to understand the importance of the family culture and I've been noticing some of them in our own family.  I desperately want my children to think generationally.  And I want them to be tied to the generations that came before them.  It doesn't matter if some of our habits are totally out there because they are common to us!  I encourage you to embrace your family's eccentricities and maybe even work to make them last!

No comments:

Post a Comment